di Michele Giuli
My throat
ached, but I kept smoking by the window, watching the smoke hitting part of the
glass and disassemble while it went out. I layed down my eyes, and saw my ex
dealer walking past the street. He was half my age. Here, most of the problems
are given by the kids, now.
I rapidly
became tired of damaging what remained of my throat and threw the cig away. I
closed the window and wore a scarf and my jacket, and layed down the stairs to
go out, bad memories being drawn up into my mind after having seen that boy.
“No,
remember” I told myself. “Just. Don’t. Fucking. Think. About. It. Now!” There
were things in my life, it took some time for me to forgive.
It was a
winter night in Macerata, a city in the Marche, Italy, were the air smells of
humanity and the buildings look like they’re being hit by sun even when it’s
cloudy. Sometimes. Other times, I just couldn’t see it. Could see nothing.
It took me
five minutes to arrive to the pub. It was not so busy, as far as I could see
from the outside, but it was ok, for me. Maybe I would have met Strimpella or
Maldini, and it would be enough to cheer me up. I needed a laugh. I couldn’t
play the though guy for too long.
I entered,
and as I expected Strimpella was at a table with other three man of whom I
couldn’t remember the names. Strimpella was aged sixty-one, had a rude face
with a peace-minded expression and long white curly hair.
He had that
name for the way he used the word “strimpellare”, which is an Italian
verb to say that you can play a musical instrument just good enough to cross
the borderline. He applied it’s meaning to the use of everything.
“Do you
speak English?”
“Lo
strimpello”
“Do you
know something about French Literature?”
Again, with
a humble and auto-ironic smile, he would answer:“La strimpello”
He always
wore a smile on his face. Most of the times, it would be the one you expect to
see on a simple and smart man, but there were variants.
« Oh, good
doctor, what brings ye here?» he greeted me, cheerfully.
«
Business.» I answered, and pointed my finger to the beer draft.
« Looks
like a good point.» he laughed, and held up his own glass in response.
I reached
him and his friends at the table.
« How was
work today?» one of the other men asked me.
« Boring,
as usual.» I said, and laughed.
I worked
between a cig and another in a shoes factory, with other twenty workers, and
that was it. According to the stories that I heard in that place, most of the
people working place looked more like a soap opera, than a factory.
“That bitch
came around saying that she saw me with...” “Then I told him that if he
kept...”
But that
was not my situation. We chatted, mostly, during work, but nothing else
happened. Maybe it’s better this way.
Suddenly, I
remembered the name of the man who had made the question. He was Mario Curzi.
He looked
like the typical fifty-years old guy you meet at a pub, dressing casual and
looking almost always at the table, thinking. He had some old earrings on his
left ear, a memory of past years. His hair was still brown, but on his beard
you could see little spots of grey with conquering plans in their mind. He was
known to have replaced water with spirits, in his life. Once, a daredevil
bartender poured water in his glass instead of the usual Varnelli, and lately
had to face Mario screaming: « Do you want me to get drunk?»
He never
got drunk. The only time in living memory it happened was when a young man
found him outside the pub, sitting on the street and staring at the wall of the
local.
« What are
you doing here?» the man asked.
« Watching
MTV.» replied Mario.
The man
laughed.
« And what
are they playing now?»
« “Another
Brick in the Wall”»
The man
thought it was good to joke on poor Mario, and bended over the wall as if he
was trying to watch the program, but Mario stepped up and went inside,
muttering.
« What are
ye doing, staring at the wall? Ah, drunken people like ye, I can’t bear them!»
I already
started feeling more comfortable than before. I am not good at loneliness, I
need people around me, doesn’t matter if they don’t care about me, I just need
to see them. That’s why I like locals. They say that people go to pubs and bars
only to drink, play cards, and make nonsense discourses about politics. I go
there, because in those places there are stories. Give me this, and I can see
light in everything again. Must admit it: back to that times, it didn’t always
happen. But at least, when I left the pub, I was happy, anyway. Call me stupid
to think that this is not a good goal.
We started
talking about music, and another of the men with us (Luca!, I remembered. He
was called Luca) start telling the story of a travel he had done in the past to
go to a concert. Their car died after a few hours, and they hitch-jacked for
the rest of the travel. For the most part of it, they were in a car with one of
the first homosexuals
« to make
“coming out”, as they call it.»
Luca (who
in the past had been a fierce left-wing activist, was probably the only one to
admit that, back to his childhood, most of the children experiencing puberty
had had one or two homosexual experiences between them, which
they kept secret) didn’t care about one own’s business.
« But
Marco!» he laughed. « For all the time, he was rigid on his seat, his ass
rigorously shut!»
I laughed
too, even if it was black humor for me. I remembered the times in which people
covered their asses with a hand when they saw me, after I turned out to be a
homosexual myself. In Macerata, just a few knew this secret. But in this story,
this secret has no place, so I’m not going to write about it now.
What I’m
going to write about, is what happened just a few seconds later that Luca
finished his story.
Suddenly... Ebbene sì, sono finalmente tornato dopo aver concluso il trasferimento provvisorio nella nuova casa a Manchester, causa Erasmus. Mese intensissimo, che mi ha portato ad avere un sacco di idee nuove. Una di queste, è stata quella di cimentarmi con la scrittura in una lingua straniera. Ad Aprile c'è un concorso per racconti brevi a Bristol, e credo proprio che parteciperò. Quindi il post di stasera sarà in Inglese, ma provvederò quanto prima a postare una traduzione in Italiano!
Questo racconto è uno dei candidati ad essere presentati per quel concorso. Sto pensando anche ad una traduzione di Leòn, ma quella è già cosa più ardua da conseguire.
In questo racconto troverete di sicuro un paio di errori di sintassi, che magari io non riesco ancora a notare, ma cercherò di perfezionare il tutto il più possibile.
Altra novità, fra le letture di questo mese c'è stato un libro di Asimov, che ha evidenziato un paio di buchi nello sviluppo di "Cuore di Metallo" che devo assolutamente eliminare, ragion per cui la pubblicazione di quel racconto è, purtroppo, momentaneamente sospesa...
Provvederò a farmi perdonare.
Nel frattempo, c'è anche un nuovo arrivato in famiglia, il bellissimo Tigre, ukulele della Redwood trovato nel negozio di musica vicino all'ostello. E adesso che ho nonostante le lezioni molto tempo libero, vuoi che non ci scappa qualche video di delle cover?
Detto questo, devo salutarvi. Qui l'ora è tarda, e la notte è buia e piena di terrori (cazzata: ciò che più descrive la notte in questa città è QUESTO).
Mi dispiace ancora tantissimo per il silenzio lungo un mese che ha caratterizzato questo blog!!! Da adesso riprendono i lavori!!!
Ci vediamo la prossima settimana per il seguito di questo racconto.
Statemi tutti bene!!! :)
---MICHELE GIULI---
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento